Monday, April 18, 2011

Alex Stoddard








Alex Stoddard is a only 17 years old, and is a great example of how photography is changing. Not specifically in terms of the equipment used to make photographs, but the possibilities available to show those photographs. Alex started taking photos not long before he decided to take on a 365 - taking a picture and sharing it everyday for a year. His photos greatly improved over the course of a year, and you can see his learning curve. I can see that some of his images are digitally manipulated - which means that more are, but I just can't tell!


Alex was born in Jacksonville, Florida, but is currently growing up in Georgia. I suppose he must go to school, but he recently quit his job at an arcade because he's officially self-employed. Based on comments on his flickr posts, he has several commissions for prom pictures and "other client stuff". He has a blog where he posts very little at a time - a short video, and answer to a questions, a link to a friend's artwork, and that sort of thing. He's currently on his 302 day of his 365, which not only means he only has 63 days left, but also that all of his current success in photography has come in the last 10 or so months.


He explains in this interview that his 365 has helped him discover his emotions, as well as his photography. This is very evident in his shots, which are quite emotional, and very ethereal. I find his photographs incredibly inspiring, both where it concerns living my life and taking my own photographs.


 He does mostly emotionally dramatic photos, but he has a sense of humor as well, evident in this photo.



Here is his very first 365. Awful, isn't it? The one in the woods is day 4. His color correction has much improved. That's what I like about this project. You really see the improvement of the photographers. And you don't see an amazing picture everyday, and that's okay. It helps me have less pressure on myself to always be perfect, because than I can just create what I feel compelled to create without worrying that others will judge my overall talent over one image.


Here's his most recent photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment