Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog Prompt #25 & #26

I would hope that my work would be displayed mostly outside a gallery setting, as most of it is posters advertising one thing or another. If they only exist within a gallery, they are probably not reaching the intended audience. I would love to see my work out in the open. In the public for anybody to walk by and ignore. Preferably not ignore, but in public spaces, people have that option to ignore if it they want to. In a gallery, people feel obligated to look at something. At least for me. I feel obligated to look at everything, even if I'm only interested in half of it. When I do skip over something, I feel the artists eyes on the back of my neck, judging me for not understanding.
But in the open, you can easily ignore the ads on the side of a bus stop or in a movie theatre. Yes, these are supposed to be eye-catching, that's sort of the whole point. But they're supposed to be eye-catching because people don't feel obligated to look!
The art I am making for my thesis relates to different things, because each piece is for a different client, so they weren't treated with the same concepts in mind. However, the process for each was similar. I wanted to use texture that derived from outside the computer (although I scanned it in and compiled everything in Photoshop and After Effects).

No comments:

Post a Comment