Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Twilight and Breaking Dawn Movie Posters

Breaking Dawn teaser poster
Through surfing the internet I found this poster, and decided to see what people thought about it. Well, I didn't last long, because that research took me to too many Twilight-centric fansites, which made me think that maybe I really didn't need to know.

Not being a fan of the series, but managing to read almost all of it anyway, I know what the story is about. And who isn't familiar with Twilight's rabid teen fan base? Therefore, it's curious the studio went with a poster like this.

Personally, I like it. I think it's a brilliant teaser (I find teaser posters are usually more creative and seducing then the official posters). I have always liked the treatment of the title, it's quite beautiful and elegant. Although I don't consider myself a Twilight fan, I think the title fits very well with the people it's intended to appeal to. The image is of a breaking dawn, and it almost looks like a book cover. I'm considering the fact that the reason I'm liking this poster so much has something to do with the fact that I normally don't like the posters at all, so by comparison, this is very nice.

I remember when the Joey Lawrence photos of the first movie came out and besides dripping with jealousy that he was so young and successful, I quite liked the photos. It was the posters that defy physics that I had a problem with - what's with the kicker lights on Bella and Edward coming from within their embrace?

The official Twilight poster and
my recreation without kicker lights
I tried to recreate it without the kicker lights back in 2008 - and everybody I asked preferred the first one. It was one of those defining moments where I realized the difference between advertising art and fine art. Nobody else seemed to mind the unreality of the lights coming from nowhere. They argued one couldn't see Bella's face clearly enough in my version, which is true. The kicker light, though thin, removes half her face, and she already has a deep shadow over the eye. I think my counter argument was that she was not a well-known actress, so one didn't need to show her face clearly to attract viewers to see the film.

If this happened on the Breaking Dawn poster, my argument would be that she is a well-known actress in a well-known cult movie with a loyal fan base and is quite recognizable with only half her face visible - especially juxtaposed with Edward and the twilight logo. But actually, those are just "pride" arguments, I think that advice was justly given.

No comments:

Post a Comment