Monday, January 17, 2011

Time to Think About the Future

I forgot to bring the Windex, and didn't notice when the scanner would become dirty. However, my sweater proved to be a crucial friend whenever I would notice the smudges.

Regardless, for not coming as prepared as I would have liked (not only did I forget my wallet (I was going to buy transparent sheets in the art store), but I forgot my card to get into the room (luckily people were all over the building and I got in just fine). I live just to darned far away (not really) to go back to get these things. Part laziness, part I have a dinner party to go to tonight and I don't want to be late, but mostly it was that I can't stand a wasted trip - using up the gasoline and time - when it was very likely I could use the ingredients I brought with me.






So when I set up the scanner to prepare my project, I only had a CD case (transparent), petroleum jelly, dusting powder, and my time-turner. I'm surprised that I actually like a lot of the pieces I made. I brought the CD case because when I go into interviews, I often bring a CD with my digital portfolio on it (although a hard copy is better, I hear), so to be a jewel case, or what goes in it, is my work, which represents me, or rather, what I can do for an employer. But I don't know what the future is going to be like at all. Despite what hopefully is a well-rounded background, I don't know what I'm doing.

I didn't have the transparency paper to smear the petroleum jelly on, I instead put it into the CD case, which worked about wonderfully because it really shows how I have no idea if the piece that represents me to a potential employer is clear or not, if it really shows me, or if it just kind of shows me. Another way of looking at it is that the portfolio is my gateway to my future, but I can't really see what my future is. Whatever my future is, however, my portfolio is a major factor in getting me there.

The time-turner, along with of course representing my somewhat unnatural love of the Harry Potter story, represents my preoccupation with time. Like most people, I calculate how much time I should spend on this project, and then this project, and then this project. The time-turner also represents how my time at college is ending very soon. I'm looking forward to getting a job, but I love college and I know I will miss it. So the time-turner represents my diminishing time of college, but also the amount of time I devoting my preparing for my future.

The last one is when I realized I still hadn't used the baby powder. I sprinkled it on there and did a scan with my face over the powder, but I'm reading A Million Little Pieces, and the powder reminded me too strongly of drugs. But when I started cleaning off the powder, I thought it looks really cool, so I did a scan of that with my hand in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment