Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blog Prompt #23 (actually #22)

My roommate has this really interesting piece on her wall that another student from MSU created for class. I'm not sure what type of camera the images were taken with, but it was printed and then glued to board to give it structure and depth. It was then left outside for a night and leaves stuck to it and it was slightly damaged, but that was the look the artist was going for, I think. I'm probably way off with the description on how this piece was made, but it was similar to that, at least. When my roommate told me about it, I was impressed that she had even come up with that idea. The image is a tripdych, but the three pieces are different sizes. I think it's a great way to display an image and have it also be a sculptural piece.

Stop motion is also a great way to combine photography with other media, because it is essentially photography, but you have to have a filmmakers thought process when creating the piece. I love it because I have always been interested in film, and I love photography, so be able to combine the two is so much fun. But the possibilities of stop-motion are different than the possibilities for film, so you get very different type of work from the two.

A wearable version mixing photography and mixed-media is placing photos on clothing. Screen-printing, iron-ons, and other methods are used all the time to create t-shirts for groups. It may not be considered "art" by many people, but it is definitely something that helps create a sense of unity between a group and represents that group to the outside world.

Another method is projecting an image onto something. I think projecting an image can look pretty awful, but if it is done correctly, can look amazing. I'm thinking of the movie Adam, where the character Adam project the image of space around his apartment. It looks amazing in the film and to be able to see that in an actual space must be amazing. It reminds me of the few camera obscuras I've been in.

No comments:

Post a Comment