Monday, November 29, 2010

Blog Prompt #23

This picture here by Thomas Berger is amazing! It was literally the first picture I clicked on, simply by random. But when I opened it I got so excited! It looks like a pop-up book, yet it is an image that, to me, looks like it was done in Photoshop. It's still great if it wasn't done in Photoshop, perhaps more so. I think this might be something I would really love to explore. I love creating depth to images in Photoshop, which of course is fake depth. I always try to make it look as real as possible, but here, Berger acknowledges the fact that it's completely fake and uses that to create a beautiful surreal landscape.
I naturally assumed the rest of Berger's pictures would be equally amazing, but a lot of them looks like ordinary photos. But the pop-up pictures are truly inspiring.

Sarah Blumé is an artist who is responsible for this image. It's very similar to the idea I had of recreating my comic book I wrote in high school. Drawn images with real background. Well, "real" in my case, but still. People who create images like this are without a doubt creative. Even if this idea is not completely new, a person who wants to play around with a camera would probably go outside before photographing an image like this. I think it's very inspiring and hopefully something here I can use in my own work.


Mark Jenkins is an example of a photographer who's work is based more on content than style. His work is sometimes humorous and sometimes I-guess-it's-funny. He has one image that has a red carpet, the epitome of glamour and fame, that leads to a manwhole in Washington, DC. A large portion of his website is dedicated to photos of plastic bubble-like children doing interesting (or not interesting) things around the city, such as pulling down signs, climbing statues or billboards. It reminds me of Jan von Holleben, who I would also say his work is more about content rather than having the perfect "look". I think it is a admirable quality in a photographer, because these are the works that speak to us rather than just being something nice to look at. I think every photographer has something to learn from photographers like Mark Jenkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment