Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2011 PIEA and ADDY winning entries

Satpreet Kahlon,
PIEA Honorable Mention Portfolio


It must be the bright green wall in our apartment or something, because my roommate, Satpreet, and I both won during this year's PIEA international photo contest. We're the only winners from Michigan State this year, which makes it even more bizarre. The poetic bit is that I wouldn't have entered if it weren't for Satpreet's mentioning the contest to me. She was very confident I would win something.

Satpreet received an Honorable Mention for her entire portfolio, of which she submitted a lot (a lot). Her portfolio is amazing, and here are a few sample of a series she did with the view camera.

Satpreet Kahlon,
PIEA Honorable Mention Portfolio
Satpreet Kahlon,
PIEA Honorable Mention Portfolio

 Our professor had actually been looking for Satpreet to tell he she'd won, but he found himself in my class instead. When he said she won, I literally jumped out of my chair to hear more details. Then he told me I'd won too. First Prize in the Digital Construction category.

Kim Berens,
PIEA First Prize Digital Category
I submitted three pieces, and the only one to not come back (the winner) was the only piece I hadn't set out to make for a class, although you'll read below I did end up turning it in as an assignment.

This morning I found out I also won a Gold ADDY in the mid-Michigan ADDY Awards for a series I had done that was directly inspired by the image that won me the PIEA First Prize. The series I turned in for my Color Photography class and included the piece the original for the assignment.

Kim Berens,
Gold ADDY Award Winner

Kim Berens,
Gold ADDY Award Winner

Kim Berens,
Gold ADDY Award Winner

Kim Berens,
Gold ADDY Award Winner

The original and the new series are similar, but I do think they are distinct enough that for an exhibition I would not show them together. I feel the original is a great stand-alone piece, but the new series does work best as a series.  Except the first one I show here, I do feel could stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment