Friday, February 25, 2011

Motion Book Cover?

I've been sick the last couple of days and have done a lot of sleeping, but there comes a point when you don't want to sleep anymore. At that point I went to class (bad idea). The next day, as I was still sick, I took the entire day to catch up on work (it kind of worked). Mostly I slept and when I wasn't sleeping, I thought about future projects.

One of the projects I thought extensively on was my thesis in my photography workshop class. I thought it was about time I narrowed it down. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with after effects tutorials, which is a lot of fun, but not exactly helping me narrow my thesis. The tutorials are more giving me too many ideas and of increasing difficulty. So I sat down and decided I needed to have a story with which to grow an idea. Well, I don't need a story, more that I want one. I like the restriction that come from representing something like a story. When you literally can do whatever you want, it becomes more difficult, which is what I was facing. I wanted to make all these cool things, but there was no concept, so it was hard to hold on to one idea over another.

Well, my brother wrote this book last year that he let me proof-read over the holidays and I loved it. I've been getting really into motion posters, or living moving posters, but with nooks and other forms of digital books, why not motion book covers? So that's what I'm making. A living moving motion book cover.

Now the only issue is somehow making it a photography assignment. Something I forgot until after I called my brother and we discussed important themes of the book that could be presented in the cover design, did a handful of sketches, and made mock-ups in Photoshop. So I was already really invested in the project before I realized it was all digitally created and not a spot of photography in the entire design. Oops. As I love texture, I had always been planning on using a texture, but even the texture I was planning on using I was going to create in the computer! It's not at all more difficult to use photographs as textures, which will probably look better anyway. Also, before I had planned to design a cover for my brother's book, I really wanted to work with torn paper edges, so I can somehow incorporate scans of torn paper, which I think would look really nice.


Mostly, I'm just ecstatic to play around with it and see what I can do. I don't think anybody has ever done a motion book cover before, so there are no rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment