Monday, September 20, 2010

Prompt #5 Horcrux Photography

Here is another prompt for my Color Photography class, my response is below.

“I just think it's important to be direct and honest with people about why you're photographing them and what you're doing. After all, you are taking some of their soul.” ~Mary Ellen Mark




I do agree that it is important to talk to the people one is photographing out of respect for them. I also think a person who has been spoken to will be less uncomfortable in front of the camera, depending on the circumstance. Letting the subjects know why you are photographing them may make them act more like what you want, or less like what you want, and in some cases it might not be a good idea to tell them everything beforehand. Of course you should always be polite, and in the end explain to them your project.
As for taking their souls? If she means photographing a person is recoding some of his or her soul, then I agree that that is what photography does. Perhaps this reads negatively about my morals, but I don't think it is always important to explain to a person why you are taking their photograph. Perhaps I am letting my imagination run wild, but I'm coming up with many circumstances where it would be unnecessary or too difficult. For example, large riots, photographing people in the distance, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment