Monday, September 13, 2010

Prompt #2 All about the word "Photograph"

I tend to take questions like this literally, so I would say the word "photograph" is the recording of light, but this time, I feel that that is not answer my professor is looking for.
I guess when I see the word "photograph" as opposed to "picture" in the modern context, I get the feeling that the artist set up the photograph. Meaning, he or she made the appropriate exposure and set the ISO and framed the image as they wanted. But the word picture is less though out and more spontaneous. In an old-fashioned context, however, the word photograph gives me the feeling of any photo taken, no matter the situation. I don't know why. I guess old black and white grainy, scratched-up photos seem more legitimate. Perhaps because the photographer HAD to spend time on it. There was no such thing as a spontaneous photo back in the day when photography was first introduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment