Monday, October 11, 2010

Blog Prompt #11 - Memory of a Place

I used to think my elementary school was quite large, but every time I visit I can't believe how tiny the hallways are. I can easily touch the ceiling in several of the hallways, and bending down to drink from the drinking fountains is quite literally a joke. I see the outside of the building occasionally because my friend lives on the border of the playground and when we're all home we sometimes go there and swing on the swing sets and take pictures. But I don't go inside very often. If I imagine myself inside, I see myself right outside the cafeteria where we would put our lunch bags at the beginning of the school day - at least, I think that's what we would put in the carts? Now I can't really remember, but for some reason there ARE carts. In a photograph, I do think it would look exactly as I remember, but with little reminders that the kids were not born in the eighties, but ten or even fifteen years later. I can't actually imagine any exact colors except an off white and blue curtains. I'm pretty sure we had a blue curtain on the stage, and blue seats in the cafeteria. For some reason I'm by myself, probably because I went a couple years ago by myself as I was riding by and I figured I may as well see what it's like. Pretty much, it was small, but the same. It even had a painting from a girl in my class still on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment