Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fake Sun, Fake Horns, and Fake Drama

My three final images for assignment #2 in my color photography class. My favorite is the last of my sister. She's being overly dramatic making pie, it's hilarious (to me).

This first picture is of my friend, Susan. This is a candid picture taken just after she bought the horns, but I thought it worked really well for the assignment. I altered the colors slighting, made them less vibrant, and gave the shadows a cyan-tinge.
When I took this picture is was simply a candid of my friend, but after I had chosen it for my project, I looked at it as a piece of art to see what it was saying. I think it literally says, "I'm trying on these horns, and I feel kinda dorky, but I'm okay with that". But if the person looking at this doesn't know it's candid, he or she might think it means, "I work for the devil, but I don't take my job seriously", which is what I imagine Susan thinking when I look at this picture. Or maybe she's thinking, "Yeah, I'm the devil, but don't judge me, there's really nothing I can do about it. I'm just trying to make a living just like everybody else," which is also funny.


The image of me sleeping on the coach was a lot of fun to work with. I shot the picture myself, so I was running from the camera to the couch over and over again. It looks like I just get to lie there and sleep, but it was actually a very active photoshoot!  I really like this one because the colors looks great (the prompt for this was complimentary, hence the red and green), and of course I love it because Hagrid makes an appearance. I thought of taking him out, but I really wanted to keep him in there. For a couple of years I have actually been kind of embarrassed about the my enthusiasm for Harry Potter, which came from someone close to me telling me that it was sad that people only read Harry Potter and never moved on the bigger and better books. What I think this person didn't realize was Harry Potter was the gateway book, which is exactly the opposite of what he thought. At least it was the gateway book for me (this is the very reason my blog is title Unembarrassed Enthusiasm, as a reminder to myself. Anyway, I know that seems off-topic, but all of that thought went into keeping Hagrid in this picture (and any picture with a Harry Potter reference), so I thought I may as well mention it.
The bright streaming sunlight thought the window is 100% completely photoshopped. Sorry to anyone who thought it wasn't.  Well, technically, the highlights on the couch, blanket, and my hair are not photoshopped, but the huge yellow glow is. I tried many different angles and intensities for the light and ultimately went with this one, feeling it looked the most natural. I am completely aware it doesn't look natural, but I like the way it looks and it creates the type of mood I wanted originally but couldn't achieve in-camera due to the actual sunlight and the angle with which is doesn't stream into my window.

This image is inspired by an image I did in my Photo 2 class that I took with a view camera. I loved the original pictures, but unfortunately for my kitchen, the film was black-and-white. The brilliant yellow of the walls, the blue of the hat, and (you can't see it here), the array of colors of the apron my sister, Beth, is wearing look too amazing to be recorded only in black-and-white. And so ever since shooting with view camera, I've wanted to reshoot in color with the exact same clothes. And we did! I also dressed up, in a big pink dress and dark red lips, and Beth took some pictures of me. So while I shot these pictures, that's what I'm wearing.
During the shoot I kept directing Beth to act like a dramatic, lonely house-wife, and I wasn't really sure why. I'm still not sure, but I knew what I wanted. I think I achieved it. Beth definitely looks like a way overly dramatic house-wife making pie (we actually made the pie during the shoot - sweet potato pie sans butter and sugar! - and ate it while looking at our shots. If you're interested in our attempts at healthy cooking, we have a blog called Fourth Broomstick).

No comments:

Post a Comment