Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog Prompt #19

I think there are plenty of things that should not be photographed. I think privacy is incredibly important and often times people forget the privacy wishes of others. Paparazzi is an excellent example. I think the paparazzi can come up with an excellent reason to photograph celebrities, and these days it pretty much comes with the territory, so I will not say celebrities should not be photographed while walking their dog. But I do think that that celebrity has the right to not have his or her children photographed.
Of course there are also very vulgar things that I don't think should be photographed, such as rape and murder, and torture (except perhaps for investigatory purposes).

We can photograph a person in pain, or in love, and we can feel the emotion through the expression of the person in the photograph, but we can't actually photograph emotions, and how our body reacts to being angry (heart beating faster), being embarrassed (face getting warm), or lonliness (a seriously empty clenching in the chest). We could photograph the actual muscles, but the muscles wouldn't convey the emotion, and especially not in a still photograph.

There are plenty of things I do not want to photograph. I'm not particularly interested in photographing unborn babies, or pictures of distant galaxies. These photos are used for different purposes than what I want out of my photos. I'm more interested in the art aspect of photography rather than the scientific aspect. Although I'm sure if I am ever pregnant, a picture of an unborn baby will mean something a great deal more than it does to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment